‘A baby is born with a need to be loved and never outgrows it’. The way we care for our babies is how they experience our love. Every new parent wants to raise their bundle of joy the perfect way. When it comes to our precious new born all seems challenging. To choose the right baby products is one of the most challenging jobs for a parent. Hence, the baby stores are flooded with innumerable variety of baby products to suit the baby’s skin requirements without harming it.
With the unpredictable weather these days the demand for a powder for babies is on a rise. Baby powder seems to be one essential that we need to use daily to prevent skin allergies and rashes. However, given to so much controversy around a talcum powder, moms like me have always been apprehensive about using the same. One question that all moms worry about is – ‘Is it safe to use a talcum powder for babies?
With a bit of research and seeking opinions from various experts, I have come to know that- Yes , baby powders are safe as long as they are Talc-Free .
Talc versus Talc-Free Baby Powder
A large variety of baby powders are made from talcum. Talc being the main ingredient is used for its moisture absorbing qualities. However, we need to be careful while picking up a baby powder for our little one. The ingredients of the powder should be checked before buying it. Although baby powders that are approved and certified by relevant authorities are safe, it is best to use them after reading the instruction on the container.
Babies are prone to inhaling the powder used on their skin. Powders having talc as an ingredient consists of fine particles which can be inhaled and cause irritation to the baby’s delicate lungs. As compared to talcum, the powders which are talc-free or inclue organic ingredients like corn starch reduce the chances of inhalation owing to their large particles which are difficult to get air-borne.
The rising awareness of an eco-friendly environment and usage of organic substances has brought in a variety of baby products whose ingredients are organic in nature. One such brand that offers a safe and talc-free dusting powder is Mother Sparsh. The brand believes in giving a long range of quality derived Ayurvedic products which are gentle and holistic for the baby’s skin.
Mother Sparsh Dusting Powder
Mother Sparsh Dusting Powder is formulated with natural extracts which absorb moisture on baby’s skin naturally. This powder is talc-free and is anti-microbial and hypoallergenic in nature. It contains Corn starch and Arrowroot as main ingredients which are naturally derived and are used to soothe the baby’s skin leaving it smooth and subtle.
- Zero Talc : It’s zero talc formulated dusting powder which keeps the baby skin dry due to the properties of Arrowroot and prevents any form of rashes.
- Anti-bacterial : It has antibacterial properties which helps prevent fungal and yeast infection on the baby’s skin by absorbing excessive moisture and sweat.
- Hypoallergenic : The powder is hypoallergenic. It is mild and sensitive on the baby’s skin.
- Toxin-free – It is free of parabens, phthalates, dyes and sulphates and it super safe to use on new born baby’s skin.
- Pleasing Fragrance – Includes lavender essential oil which gives a pleasant fragrance to the herbal product.
Given to the organic ingredients, Mother Sparsh Dusting Powder is a safe choice that suits all baby skin types (from normal to sensitive skin). The powder is easily available online .
Ways To Use A Baby Powder
Choosing the right talc free baby powder for the kids is not enough. The correct application of a powder at the correct places is an art which parents need to know. Here are certain things we need to keep in mind –
- A dusting powder should only be used in the basic parts of a baby that remain hidden from exposure to air like the neck and underarm.
- The perfect way to use a dusting powder on babies is to avoid smothering it all over the body.
- It is advisable to use only at places that can have rashes due to rubbing of skin. Overuse of any dusting powder should be avoided.
- Ideal way to apply a dusting powder on the baby is to take it on your palm and pat it on the baby’s skin. Avoid sprinkling the powder (or using a puff) as it not only leads to wastage but also clogs the child’s breathing. It may prove harmful for the eyes / mouth area too.
- Parents should take care and avoid using a dusting powder on the child’s face.
- Care should be taken in wiping away the residual powder carefully with a soft cloth or water based wet tissue.
It is usually said that ‘what you put ON your baby’s body is just as important as what you put IN your baby’s body.’ Hence it’s always wise to go for babycare products that are natural and completely safe for their skin.
Do you use a safe baby powder for your kids? Do share with us in the comments below?
Disclaimer – This post is in collaboration with Mother Sparsh. However, the views and opinions shared here are my own.
I am taking my Alexa rank to the next level with Blogchatter.