Did you know the toys, which are a child’s best-friend, are not mere playthings? They are the major tools that can help your child acquire new skills.
Early years are the building years of the child’s life. They are marked by a stage of exploration that involves learning by doing. Whether it is playing with basic objects lying at home or with specific learning toys available in the store, play features very highly in every child’s vocabulary. Hence it’s relevant to involve kids in activities that not just entertain them but also help in their overall development.
As a new parent, one of the biggest struggles I faced in those early days was to devise different ways through which I could keep my children engaged. And I think most new moms would resonate with this struggle. Kids have a short concentration span and so it requires a lot of creative thinking on part of the parents to involve them in such activities that grab their attention for long and also help in their development process.
Something that saved my sanity and helped me majorly in this regard are the learning toys. Learning toys are a great source of fun and education. They are also a convenient option that is readily available. Investing in learning toys doesn’t go waste as they mostly have positive outcomes.
Benefits Of Learning Toys
The benefits children derive from learning toys are innumerable. Apart from grasping their attention for long they help in-
- Cultivating their cognitive and physical skills.
- Improving memory retention, hand-eye coordination and motor skills
- Developing their social skills. Concept of sharing, taking turns, leadership, etc can be instilled through toys.
- Strengthening the emotional self of the child by instilling in him confidence and curiosity.
- Improving family bonding time.
Choosing The Right Learning Toy
Since toys hold a great value in the formative years of a child’s life, choosing the ‘right toy’ is all the more relevant. And believe me, this is nothing less than a struggle again. Market today offers a plethora of options for toys. Initially when I used to go to a toy store, I would get overwhelmed seeing the variety that’s available at each counter. As much I would get tempted to buy everything, I would also get confused thinking which is the right choice for my kids. Zeroing down on one particular product would always involve a great amount of research.
Gradually I could understand a few factors that I can consider while shopping for good learning toys. Here are some of them-
1. Age of children– Choosing the age appropriate toys is the most important step. Most good toy manufacturing companies always mention the recommended age on the box. This helps in selection process because it takes into account the utility, value, and skill level attained at that particular age.
2. Their interest and likings– Each child has individual interests and preferences. Toys that are in line with childrens’ liking and abilities hold their attention for long and also lead to more positive outcomes.
3. Educational Value– Each age marks a different set of milestone and skill development for the child. Engaging in toys that’s specific to a particular skill, only facilitates in attaining of those skills. I always try to choose a toy that could help my children take the next step in their development.
4. Safety and Durability – Everytime I pick up a toy, I carefully examine it. The ones that have sharp edges, extra accessories like buttons, beads, etc that can be easily swallowed are usually out of my list. I mostly prefer wooden toys that don’t involve non-toxic plastic material. The ones I feel would not last long or do not serve an extended use are again out of my consideration.
5. Level of complexity– A toy that is too complex for the child’s developmental level would not serve its purpose. The child would end up getting frustrated and stop engaging. The playability of the toy determines its appropriateness. My kids love those toys which they can easily master as it boosts their self esteem.
Selecting the right toy becomes easy when the above mentioned basis are kept in mind. Companies like Skola and a few more do consider these factors while designing toys for young kids. Making the task of the parents easy, they offer a range of toys that are developmentally appropriate and serve great educational value.
My twins are currently twenty months old and at a stage when they are acquiring different cognitive and fine motor skills. I offer them toys that make them learn new concepts like shape fitters, animal puzzles, alphabet sorters. They also enjoy playing with bat-ball, building blocks, wooden board games, nesting cups, etc that help develop their hand-eye coordination. With the help of these toys, I see them learning something new each day.
Toys play a vital role in the overall development of the child. Apart from being a source of fun and entertainment, they are tools that can enhance their learning and shape their growing up process. Hope this article helps you in choosing the right learning toy for your child.
Featured Image Courtesy: pixabay.com
Disclaimer : This is a sponsored post. However, the views and opinions expressed are of the author alone.
Did you find this post useful? Do share with your friends and leave a comment below.
Also read Globetrotters Country Box Review
This post is a part of My Friend Alexa campaign with Blogchatter
I am taking my Alexa rank to the next level with #MyFriendAlexa Blogchatter.
#themomsagas #blogchatter #MyFriendAlexa